Monday, January 16, 2017

MLK Day



There are a lot of things I hope to teach our kids.  I hope they learn to be hard workers.  I hope they learn the importance of honesty.  I hope they learn to be responsible with their finances.  But the thing I hope for most, the thing I'll truly measure my success as a mom against, is their kindness.

I'll be honest, it's been quite a while since I've really paid much attention to MLK day.  And that's not because I don't have respect for Martin Luther King Jr., he's been one of my historical heroes for as long as I can remember.  I think the reason it sort of became another "banker's holiday" to me is because in my mind the issue is settled.  Equality wins.  We aren't to be judged by what's on the outside, but what's in our hearts.  And WE aren't the ones here to judge anyways.  All we're called to do is love.  But unfortunately you turn on the TV and it's clear that this issue that feels like it should be yesterday's news is very much still today's news.

We talk a lot about loving each other and being kind in this house, and it dawned on me today that the guy we're celebrating is one of the very best examples of that message.  It also occurred to me that I can't just hope my ideas on equality get transferred to my kids through osmosis or something, it's still a message that has to be taught.  So we went to Target (pretty much the only store I can make it to before needing to rush home for nap time or making dinner), but they had no MLK books!  So we settled for some YouTube videos of people reading books, and even found a video of his actual "I Have A Dream" speech. 

One of the coolest things about Lyla is that she's actually interested in history, and she sat and watched these videos patiently and enjoyed seeing real pictures and videos of the man we were talking about.  We talked about him more during dinner, and it turns out the whole message is a little hard to explain to an almost 5 year old that looks at you like you're an alien when you say that people couldn't eat in restaurants or use water fountains just because of the color of their skin.  But we fumbled through it the best we could, and if nothing else the foundation is there.  I look forward to how this new information will tumble out of her little mind at some future date, most likely in the most awkward way possible.  ;)

- K

Here's a couple pictures from the day!  (We also dyed hair pink and stopped for donuts! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment